In Internet one can easily find a lot of programs on the subjects like â€œUSB flash drive securityâ€, â€œSet up password on USB flash driveâ€, or â€œEncrypt USB flash driveâ€. Each of them has its pros and cons. Letâ€™s take up the issue in detail.
Programs for USB flash drive encryption are divided into 2 groups:
- The programs that encrypt the separate files on the USB flash drive. The secure files are stored in the special (hidden) folder on USB disk. Certainly, the files names are modified, and the contents are encrypted. You can open the file only in the program, at the same time the file is decoded on the USB disk and then opens in the associated application. At the end it is required to give a command â€œto update protected fileâ€.
Such programs are “Remora USB guard”, “USB Vault” “Folder Lock”. If you wish you might replace these programs by usual password archive RAR, ZIP (with built-in encryption feature). It automatically renews the archive file, if you have opened it in the archive and changed it.
- The programs that create virtual encrypted disk, where all the files are automatically coded/ decoded without direct user command. The disk is fully contained in the USB flash drive.
These programs have a number of advantages:
- A user works with the protected files directly. It is not necessary to indicate what file should be decoded
- The files are being automatically coded/ decoded as required
- Temporary files are also kept as encrypted ones
- It is possible to work with a virtual disk from any program
The main disadvantage is that you should have Administrative privileges to open this virtual disk, because the program loads the disk driver, i.e. if you want to open the disk in Internet cafe, you will not manage it by 99%. However, such kind of program is right for secure carrying over the files from home and work and vice versa.
There are also the programs that are usually included in the stand of some USB flash drives (for example Transcend Jet Flash). They divide the USB flash drive memory into 2 partitions. 2 Removable disks are showing up in the system while connecting. The first disk is open, the second one is entirely
encrypted. If you want to open it for reading/recording, you should enter password in the special program.