Applies to: Rohos Disk Encryption software.
Summary: There are a many encryption tools available on the Internet. Some of them work by encrypting file-by-file, some of them make encrypted disk containers. Almost all of the tools use modern encryption algorithms, like AES with 256 bit key length (Blowfish or Serpent), and it’s almost impossible to crack such cryptographic protection.
Rohos Disk Encryption creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file (container) and mounts it as a real disk.
It means you don’t have to do anything to encrypt a file or folder. Rohos encrypts/decrypts files automatically when you saving or reading them from the disk. All you need to do is to activate encryption using the password or USB token before you start working. The encrypted disk letter will be availableÂ in the My Computer, and you can start working.
You may ask us where the encrypted disk comes from and what it comes to when you stop working with it. In fact there is no any disk as such in the system, only its file-container is created. You may see it after you have turned it on.Â Actually, its contents are stored in its container-file (i.e. in the big file of the same size as your disk)
Rohos disk in File Explorer
You can work with it as with a usual disk – to create new files and to delete the old ones, to work with files and save them, and the data is being encrypted automatically (on-the-fly). When you stop working with the files and log off, the disk becomes invisible, and the information in it is inaccessible, i.e. no one can see it, find it via search in Internet or change.
The programs that create the virtual CD-ROM disks work on the same principle. They create the virtual CD-ROM device
You may be curious about the place virtual disk appears from at the beginning of work and disappears to when work is finished. There is no really any physical disk in your computer, just its container-file. This file is a kind of special file as big as your encrypted disk. When you enter your password this container is mounted (connected) as a virtual disk. When you disconnect virtual disk, its letter gets removed from “My Computer” and no one can see information or find it using Windows search feature and of course, information can’t be changed if it is stored on encrypted disk!
Virtual CD-ROM tools and Rohos Disk tool are based on the same principle. Special system driver is used to create virtual diskÂ drive, which works like physical one, but container file (like ISO) is used instead of physical CD-ROM disk.
How does Rohos program work?
Due to flexibility of OS Windows it’s possible to create any virtual device. It’s called virtual device creating.
For instance, there is a program named VmWare, which can create virtual computer inside Windows. You can launch another copy of Windows in VmWare window and work there as you usually do. Neither installed programs, nor even Windows will detect the change.
Rohos Disk creates virtual disk drive and the disk letter is visible in “My Computer”. If you want there can be severalÂ virtual drives.
Rohos Disk tells Windows about new virtual device being ON, when you turn on the encrypted virtual disk by typing in the correct password.
Further you can use virtual disk as if it is a physical one. Rohos Disk turns off the virtual disk and informs Windows that there is no such device when you log off Windows or turn off your computer.
Rohos Virtual encrypted disk technology.
On-the-fly data encryption
Windows transfers to Rohos Disk program all the data you have saved on virtual disk. Rohos Disk encrypts these data automatically and records it on disk container. This kind of encryption is called on-the-fly encryption. It means that data written to physical disk (where the virtual disk is stored) are already encrypted.
Rohos Disk uses the most popular high-speed encryption algorithms (for example AES) that allow real-time data encryption and decryption.
- Is there the possibility to reformat, find errors or make de-fragmentation of Rohos disk? Answer. Yes, it’s possible. We, actually, recommend you to check Rohos disk for errors periodically.
- Is it possible to install an application to Rohos encrypted disk and run it from there? or What happens when I run some movie or program (for example The Bat) directly form my virtual disk ? Answer. It is possible. Your program or movie may be launched without a problem. Hint: Make sure all programs and documents, launched from virtual disk, are closed before turning the disk off. It will help you avoid errors.
- May I move Rohos disk container to other computers using local network or Internet? Is there the possibility to record disk container on DVD disk and to work from this DVD disk? Answer. Yes, Rohos Disk makes it possible to move disk container to other computer and to continue working with your disk. (Rohos disk has .rdi extention)
- Is there a “Quick Start Guide” or some tutorial for beginners? Yes, while installing Rohos Wizard will help you to create your first encrypted volume. You’ll just need to provide an access password.
- I forgot my password – is there any way to recover the files from my secured volume? Yes. Rohos Disk allows making password reset file (should be created beforehand). Also you can have USB token as a password device. Also many data recovery tools are compatible with Rohos Disk.
Note: When you open Rohos Disk on the guest PC without Administrative Rights not all the applications will be accessible and might work. Meanwhile with Rohos Disk Browser you will be able to copy and paste files, to listen to music from your secrete disk, to overview pictures and photos.
Read more about Rohos Disk Encryption features.