Rohos Logon Key converts any USB flash drive into a security key for your computer and allows to login Windows in a secure way by USB key, replacing the password based Windows login.
Why to use USB flash drive for Windows login?
- You don’t need to remember and type your Windows password (but your system is still password protected.)
- You can use Long secure passwords that comply with the “security-enhancing” principles.
- Enjoy fast and automatic login into Windows. Users can be automatically logged into Windows as they insert the USB flash drive into the USB port.
- Automatic Windows lock-out when user unplugs USB drive from computer.
- Two-factor authentication with PIN code + USB key – to stop anyone else logging in with it.Â
- PIN code is defined by the user to protect USB Key from unauthorized usage for Windows login.
- PIN code can be short like “576” because,
- The number of attempts to enter a PIN is limited to 3.
- Also PIN code allows you to avoid re-inserting USB-stick in “sign-in – lock – unlock” use cases. Just press Win+L to lock the desktop, then click on USB icon on the login-screen to unlock Windows by USB Key – enter PIN and you are in.
- Remote Desktop login with USB Key, Require a credential dialog.
- Windows Safe Mode boot protection.
By default Rohos Logon Key works even in safe mode.
- A few USB drives can be configured for each user account on a computer.
- One USB drive can be used to login Windows and Mac.
How user log into Windows Seven with USB drive:
Rohos Logon Key adds USB key login icon to the Windows Vista\Seven logon screen.
1. The user plugs in his USB flash drive to computer (prompted for a PIN code if it has been set If an invalid PIN is entered more than 3 times, the USB drive is blocked, thus the USB Key login is not further possible.)
2. Immediately he is logged into Windows and has access to his Windows user account without having to type in user name or password.
3. Whenever the users temporarily leaves the computer, they can temporarily lock the computer by simply disconnecting the USB flash drive. Also RohosÂ Logon Key can be configured to log off or activate screensaver upon unplugging USB Key.
Rohos Logon Key is a user authentication software that is specifically designed to strengthen the security of the Windows Seven logon process and keep intruders out.
Rohos Logon Key protects your personal information and data with a Two-Factor Authentication technology by using USB flash drives and PIN code.
You may also use Rohos encryption solution that encrypts applications/folders inside your user account by using a virtual encrypted disk.
Setup two-factor authentication with USB Key
Open Rohos Logon Key and click Setup USB Key link. The following dialog box allows to set yo PIN code for your USB Key:
- Click “Change PIN code” link.
- In the opened “PIN pad” dialog, enter your new PIN (3-6 characters, numbers or letters or both)Â .Â Click OK.
- In the opened “PIN pad” confirmation dialog, enter your PIN code again to confirm. Click OK. Done.
Now each time you use USB flash drive for Windows logon/unlock you need to enter Pin code first.
Disabling manually password entry
Rohos Logon Key has a special feature that hides all user icons from the logon screen and allows to use only USB Key based login.
The program has Emergency Logon feature that helps you to log into Windows Vista in case you lost USB key or forgot PIN code.
Customized USB Key login
The Rohos icon image on the logon screen can be changed or hidden at all.
Rohos Credential Provider
Rohos Credential Provider is a special authentication module for Windows Seven, which implements hardware based user authentication scenario. Users see this component in the form of an user icon on the Windows logon screen.