Rohos Disk Browser portable encryption tool.
Rohos Disk Browser is a portable encryption tool that allows to create and work with encrypted partitions on a USB drive. With this tool you can password protect USB flash drive or portable HDD and work with it on any Windows computer, even if you do not have administrative rights.
- Create password protected and encrypted containers on USB flash Drive. Container may be stored in AVI or any other media file (stenography).
- Create password protected and encrypted partitions on USB flash Drive.
- Opens with read/write support the following encrypted medias: USB flash drive partition, container file, AVI or media file with container data.
- Change password of encrypted partition or container.
- Encryption is on-the-fly in user mode and does not leave unencrypted data on the TEMP folders.
- Encryption algorithm is AES with 256 key length.
Advantages of Rohos Disk Browser portable encryption:
You can create an encrypted volume and work with it in a usual way – view the files, copy files and folders outside or inside, use available applications to open files. Also the unique features includes:
- Open any file from encrypted partitions by double-click and Save changes back by using “Save” command from any application.
- Browse images and videos in preview mode (thumbnail view) without decrypting them into temporary folder.
- Play music or video with on-the-fly decryption right into media player.
Screen shot of the Disk Browser main window, with files stored on the secret partition of the disk
Access your partition with a password
Create new partition with Rohos Mini Drive Portable
Protecting your USB drive by a password
Rohos Disk or Rohos Mini Drive tools are specially designed to password-protect a portion of a USB flash drive or portable HDD, by creating a virtual encrypted partition. The partition is protected by a password, and can be opened on any computer. Now, even if you are in an internet cafe and have no administrative rights, you can still have full access to your secret partition with the help of the Rohos Disk Browser utility. This means that you can open any file, read and edit any data. Naturally when you are at your home or office computer, you will still be able to work with your encrypted partition as usual.
On a guest computer you may always open your protected partition on the USB flash drive in “read- write” mode for FAT/FAT32 and NTFS formats with the help of the Rohos Disk Browser utility. This makes it possible to open or copy only one particular file or directory, without granting access to every file.
How Rohos Disk Browser works
- With the help of Rohos Disk or Rohos Mini Drive you create a secure partition on a USB drive. After this “Rohos Disk Browser” and “Rohos Mini” files will be copied into USB flash drive.
- When you click on Rohos Mini.exe from the USB drive, you will need to enter your password to open secret partition:
- If you have Administrative rights, you can open the disk as a virtual drive, Alternatively you can open the Rohos Disk Browser utility, and open the encrypted disk in a simpler manner (user mode encryption).
- If you do not have Administrative rights (for example when you are in an internet cafe), Rohos Disk Browser will automatically be started. This will open the encrypted partition. You will be able to open documents and run applications*.
After you enter your password for encrypted disk, a tree of files and directories from the secret disk will appear in the window:
- Double-clicking on a document in Rohos Disk Browser, it searches for associated application and opens it (with user mode on-the-fly encryption).
- The ‘save’ function can be used to copy one or many files or directories from Rohos Disk Browser into any other directory.
- Virtual Folder command – open a special window where you can see all the files from current folder in thumbnail view.
You can open Disk Browser from the menu Start ->Programs->Rohos->Disk Browser (make sure Rohos Disk or Rohos Mini Drive program is installed on your computer). Alternatively you can start the program Rohos Mini.exe from the USB drive (make sure you have already created an encrypted partition).
How to configure a USB drive to create an encrypted partition on it
- In the main window of Rohos Disk or Rohos Mini DriveÂ click on ‘Encrypt USB drive‘
- A dialog box will appear, showing you the size of the USB drive, the letter which will identify the newly-created partition, and the path to the files.
- Enter a password which will protect access to the encrypted disk
- Repeat the password
- Finally, click ‘Create Disk‘. In the same dialog you can create a label which will identify the disk on the Desktop, by selecting the check box next to it.
Benefits of this approach:
- Automatic creation and configuration of the USB key, and the size of the secret partition (disk), which it is possible to create on the USB drive. If the size of the partition were incorrect, then it would be necessary to “format” the USB drive beforehand.
- There is no need to install a program on the computer where you will open your secret partition. The program itself is installed on the USB drive. There is no need to copy the program and driver onto the USB drive, or to create an autorun.info file.
- Simply running Rohos mini.exe from the “root” of the USB drive enables you to open your secret partition. You can open your encrypted partition on any computer, even if you do not have Administrative rights.
* Note: Most applications, especially portable work on Rohos Mini Drive Browser. We have tested text files (extension txt, doc, etc.), media files (music/video), photos and pictures. Meanwhile some applications are not working properly.
Download Rohos Disk Browser portable.zip